Thursday, September 2, 2010

CDAC Fancy corners embellishment challenge

I am so glad that my parents are relatively young and healthy! This week my boss and my husband's cousin have both lost their mothers. It just reminds me of how important family is, and how lucky I am that I shouldn't have to face losing my parents for many years (decades) to come.
Sympathy cards are one of the hardest for me to make but I believe this one is subdued enough while not being depressing.

The rose image is currently being offered free by the Doodle Pantry, which is sponsoring the embellishment challenge at CDAC. I chose the image because I see the fully opened rose as symbolizing a life fully lived while the rosebud reminds us that life goes on. OK, I know it's sappy but when I hear of deaths it gets me all choked up and thinking deepish thoughts.

I selected Basic Grey's "Indian Summer" papers - the browns tone down the pink just enough - for all of the layers. The sketch is from Midnight Madness (I will definitely be putting this one into my "save" file) but substituted a bow for the sentiment block.

The bow is just a fabric scrap I had laying around. The CDAC embellishment challenge asked us to "get it cornered". I did this in 2 ways: first by adding some pearls in the outside corners, as well as staggering the brown matte at the corners.
Well, that's it for now - off I go to make another sympathy card. Perhaps I'll make a "new baby" card in between so that I don't get too depressed....

Challenges:
Alphabet Challenge - "R" is for "roses"
All Sorts Challenge - inspiration from the garden or park (roses)
Basic Grey Challenges - use fabric (the bow is fabric)
By the Cute & Girly - Indian summer (what could be more appropriate than a paper line called Indian Summer)
CDAC embellishment challenge - fancy up your corners

7 comments:

  1. Hi there

    A lovely piece of work.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Allsorts this week.

    B x

    Did you know we are looking for new DT members at our sister challenge http://pennyblackatallsorts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just lovely! Thank you so much for entering my garden challenge at Allsorts this week and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your adorable card Shelley.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley, how beautiful your sympathy card is, love the colours, how appropriate for our BTC&G challenge. Thanks for taking part. nnalorac.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. whata lovely rose, and your papers are fabulous with it

    thanks for joining in the Allsorts fun this week

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! perfect for a sympathy card but not depressing.
    I lost my Mum when I was 10 years old so I defo agree with you when you say that family is very important. It drives me crazy when I see other young people being horrible to their parents, they don't know how lucky they are to have them.
    Sorry, I got a bit deep there lol.
    Thanks for joining us this month at BTC&G.
    Lora x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card and the colour are just right. Thanks for entering it at By The Cute And Girly.

    ** Kate **

    ReplyDelete