Thursday, September 30, 2010

Kitten curiousity

Today's card uses a new image from Mo's Digital Pencil. This cute kitten was available as a short-term freebie to fans of Mo's Facebook page (if you aren't already a fan, why not?).

I challenged myself to add in stripes instead of just colouring him solid - I used my cat Natty as my model although in truth the result bears absolutely no resemblance to her (lol). I'm still pretty pleased with the result as this is a real step forward in my colouring repetoire. I also practiced my blending, especially on the leaves. You may not be able to tell, but they are coloured with a mix of orange, yellow, green & brown copics.

I decided to make this card very clean & simple by using a sketch design from Cute Card Thursday and keeping the embellishments to a minimum. The papers are from Basic Grey and the brads are from my stash (I did add some Glossy Accents to the brads though as they were too flat). I made multiple print-outs of Mo's digi stamp, in different sizes, so that I could add the leaves falling down. I had a lot of fun adding dimension to the leaves! After cutting them out, I rounded the edges (using a rounded stick and pressing into my palm) and then added Zip-dry glue in layers so that the leaves would hold their rounded shape. I'm pleased with the results because each leaf appears to curl slightly differently so it looks like they are actually falling over the kitten.

Challenges:
Copic Creations - shading on or around your image
Craftalicious Challenges - harvest festival or autumn
Little Red Wagon - make your own embellishment (I altered the brads but also made the leaf embellies from a digi stamp)
Sketchy Colours - yellow, orange, green, brown
Stamp Something - something with Fall colours
All Sorts Challenge - plain & simple

4 comments:

  1. Really love your striping technique--he's simply adorable! I'd say you're a master blender. Terrific card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful creation with great papers and georgeous details! Thanks for joining us at SC this week - best of luck!
    Hugs, Lena K

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sweet! Thanks for playing along with LRW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card Shelley i love the cute kitten and the papers are fab too. Thanks for joining us at Craftalicious for our challenge this week. luv gina xx

    ReplyDelete