Friday, October 15, 2010

Sorting Hat

I am a huge Harry Potter fan and so I was thrilled to hear that Bugaboo Stamps was coming out with their own line of Potter-inspired images. I bought both the character and accessories sets (by the way, buy one set by Oct 16 and you get the second set for free!) and then had a terrible time deciding which to colour first. I finally decided on the Sorting Hat and a bookmark.

Now I absolutely have to apologize for the quality of the image - I can't for the life of me find the camera (it's in the house somewhere but probably lost in a pile of scrapping supplies) and so I had to scan the bookmark in order to meet the Bugaboo challenge deadline. Of course, that leads to some sharpness problems, but at least you can get the idea of what I tried to create.

And what was I creating? Well, I wanted to make a bookmark for my oldest son who is currently reading Book 2 of Harry Potter with his Dad. He is totally enthralled with the books and is even planning to be Harry for Halloween. I think he will enjoy having his own themed bookmark! Being a 7-year old boy, though, I knew this bookmark had to be simple and sturdy.

I used 2 layers of cardstock with a 3rd patterned paper layer on top. The hat is coloured, cut out, and popped up slightly. I drew in the lightning bolts (but don't they look more like random squiggles?) and then added a good thick ribbon. Personally, I think it needs glitter and colour but his fave colour right now is black and glitter would send him screaming. Oh, the sacrifices we make for our children (lol).

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS BOOKMARK! You have done a great job with sorting hat image. It was great to see another bookmark entered with as as that is what I chose to do as part of my DT work with the HP images. Hope you have enjoyed all the goings on with the HP inspired release.
    TFS
    Paul
    http://craftyblogocks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great bookmark! Love it and the sentiment is just perfect for the sorting hat. Thanks for joining us at Catch the Bug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH this is just wonderful! I love how you picked the sorting hat to be your main image, he's a fun one! I also like your color scheme too...it all looks so great together! Thrilled to hear that you enjoy our new images as much as I do! Thank you for joining us this week at the Catch the Bug Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one will thrill all potter fans !

    ReplyDelete