Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sending birthday wishes

Today I have 2 dogs to share - one is on a card and the other is now a part of my family. First, the living dog. "Larry" (who may be renamed soon) is a 6 year old Husky X that I found at my local animal shelter. He is arthritic, overweight and sheds like you can't believe (and it's wintertime; I can't wait to reupholster my furniture in Husky hair come Spring). And he's just perfect! I love a dog that enjoys walks but doesn't bug me if I don't want to go out. He is just so lovable and easy-going. The kids are fighting over who gets to hug him next (although he seems to be quite happy accepting multiple hugs at a time). I'm a strong believer in adopting adult animals because their personalities are known and it's therefore easier to find a good match for any househould. Our last dog was 7 yrs old when we adopted her and we had a wonderful 5 years with her. I'm hoping for at least as long with Larry.


And now for the paper dog. This card was created for a very dear friend's birthday this month. Although I have a collection of completed cards I always like to make a brand-new, personalized card for my special friends. This card was made using her favourite colours (blue and bright white).
The image is a freebie from Sliekje. She offers so many adorable images on her blog and never charges a cent for them! I coloured this little guy using Copics (warm greys) and then adhered him to a layered card of patterned paper and shiny Bazzil cardstock. The patterned paper is actually a winter pattern but by carefully placing the image and embellishments over the snowflakes, it ends up being just right for this card. Even though her birthday is in January, she loves all things Spring so it was important to make sure this card used colours and patterns that were very fresh.

Well it's time to walk the dog to the mailbox (a mere block away and quite an acceptable walk for my Larry) and get this card on its way. Have a great day!!!

Challenges:
Totally Gorjuss - for someone special
Stamping Vacation - monochromatic blues
Papertake Weekly - anything goes
Craft Your Passion - anything goes
Crazy 4 Challenges - celebrate (a birthday)
Totally Papercrafts - time to celebrate/party

9 comments:

  1. Super cute card! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is soooo adorable... Can't forget the very pretty puppy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWW.....I love both your dogs. Your new friend sounds very sweet, and your card is absolutely adorable. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I am from Feline Playful blog.
    I am a new Followers of your blog.
    Your blog is beautiful.
    Happy New Year!
    Hugs Karla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an adorable card, and love the new addition to your family. I always think adopting an adult animal is a good idea too....and so much better than them being in a shelter so well done to your family. Hugs lin

    ReplyDelete
  6. this card is adorable, Shelley! Love the colors and that pup is just too cute! And bless you for adopting older pets! Thanks so much for joining us at Papertake Weekly and hope you can play again next week! Happy New Year!
    hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww.Your new addition to your family is just adorable.He looks a real sweetheart.The pup on your card is cute too.Lovely colours.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion :D
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Larry looks absolutely gorgeous I would give him a cuddle if I could, and I love your card that image along with the design looks super thank you for joining us at Stamping Vacation this month.
    Hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card Shelley :-) I love this image ,, soo cute and the colours are lovely ,, I love blue :-) Your friend will LOVE this :-)

    Lovely photo of the new addition to your family :-) I wish more people would adopt adult animals from rescue centers ,, they are the ones that NEED adopting ,,, puppies are easy to rehome ,, the older ones are often left behind ,,, shame :-(


    thanks for joining us on the Totally Papercrafts and PTW Challenges :-)
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete